Propane Safety Tips
Be smart when it comes to propane safety. Here are a few things you should know...
- Propane smells like rotten eggs or skunk's spray. This is caused by a harmless chemical called Mercaptan that's added to propane to make it easier to detect. If you smell propane, even faintly, follow the instructions in the section below.
- Propane gas detectors can alert you of a leak. They work just like a smoke detector, but a propane detector will alert you if propane gas is identified in the air. Combination carbon monoxide/propane/natural gas detectors are also available. But remember — never ignore the smell of propane, even if the detector has not set off the alarm.
- Leave pilot lights to experts. If a pilot light repeatedly goes out or is very difficult to light, there may be a safety problem. DO NOT try to fix the problem yourself. We strongly recommend you call us and we’ll send out a qualified service technician to relight any pilot light that has gone out.
- Running out of gas is not safe. If you run out of gas and an appliance valve or a gas line is left open, a leak could occur when the system is recharged with propane. The pilot lights on your appliances will also go out. Before we can refill your tank and turn your system back on, we are required by state law to perform a leak check of your propane system.
Please contact us if you have questions about these or any other safety practices.
WHAT TO DO If You Smell Propane
If you smell propane gas around the house, workplace, or gas equipment, it could signal a propane leak. It’s important to take the proper safety precautions immediately to ensure the safety of yourself and those around you:
- Extinguish all flames. Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames.
- LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. Take family members to a far away location and do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones.
- Turn off the gas supply using the shut-off valve on the tank or cylinder.
- Report the leak. Use a neighbor’s phone to call us at 866-270-1279 or contact 911 right away.
- Stay AWAY. Do not go back inside the building until our service technician or an emergency responder says it’s safe to do so.
- Get your system checked. Have our trained service technician check your system and re-light gas appliances and equipment for you.
For additional safety tips and information, please follow the links below: